2/20/13

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

When I was in Italy during the summer break last year, there were delicious things everywhere. Biscotti, cantuccinni (or cantucci?), canolli... I ate as much of 'em as I could. They are so good. I almost always make 'soft' cookies, I don't make a lot of 'hard' cookies. I didn't ate any biscotti since we returned home.
And then I though; Why? Why don't I just make my own biscotti?
So I did.



I made cranberry pistachio biscotti. Because this was my first try with biscotti, I decided to make some with ingredients I don't use much, to stay in the 'new'-theme. Right....
I figure you're wondering how cranberries and pistachios can be not-very-much-used ingredients at my house. Well, I really don't have a good explanation, because I very much like pistachios and cranberries. I think I just always seem to forget them.



For a first try on biscotti, I liked them very much! The recipe was quite simple actually and the flavor are texture were great. I'm definitely making these again.


 
Note:
- I was out of olive oil (Yeah, I was also like; how can you be out of olive oil?!), so I used groundnut oil (arachideolie in dutch), and it worked out fine.
 
 
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
from Diamonds for Dessert

1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pistachios

Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix sugar and olive oil together. Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix until no streaks of flour remain. Then mix in the cranberries and pistachios.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough in two and form two 12x2 inch logs on the parchment lined cookie sheet. If the dough is sticky, wet your hands to make it easier to shape the dough. Bake the logs for 35 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes.

Change the oven temperature to 275°F. Slice each log into 18 slices. Place the slices back on the cookie sheet on their sides. Bake 8-10 minutes until dry. Let cool on the sheets for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 36 cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment